5 Ways To Reduce Stress
Let's face it, Trading can be very stressful. In fact, a certain amount of stress is even normal. From the fight or flight mechanism built into us, to helping us acheive under pressure, our bodes were designed by the Creator to handle stress on a regular basis in small doses.
However, we were not designed to run in "emergency mode", 8 hours a day. Living life on the frantic edge will quickly take its toll not only on Traders, but on mere mortals as well. Left unchecked, excessive stress can result in serious physical as well as mental health problems.
Stress is not only dangerous, but expensive as well.
Stress is recognized as the number one "killer disease* in America today. The American Medical Association reports stress is the primary cause of more than 60 percent of all human illness and disease.
- It is estimated American businesses lose approximately $200-$300 billion dollars because of stress each year. This is due to lost productivity and spiraling treatment costs.
You became a Trader for 2 good reasons - Time and Money. Here are some tips to help you make the most of both while reducing stress and learning to enjoy the Good Life!
Stress Buster #1 - Learn to recognize when you are stressed.
- Ways to overcome: Sit down close your eyes and take several long breathes letting out the air slowly, this will slow things down and allow you to center yourself. This a fast way to re-group mentally and physically.
- Ways to reduce: Set the time to complete the "to-do" list so it's realistic to complete and give yourself extra time. You will feel better on completion than not. Avoid over-committing yourself. Get good at saying ‘No’ if it’s more than you can handle. Ask for help to lighten your load. Give yourself extra time to deal with the unexpected. Reward yourself with down time to just relax when the job is completed; a nice walk, cup of tea, read a chapter in a book.
- Ways to reduce: Work on determining the proper amount of time it takes for each task. Give yourself room should something unexpected pop up. Take a deserved break when a task is finished and feel good about what you've accomplished.
- Ways to reduce: What gives you pleasure? What makes you feel relaxed? What gives you that good feeling over and over? Include in your day something that emits pleasure for you. Give yourself enough time to enjoy it, relish it and takes your mind off “THE To-Do LIST”. When you look forward to these times the areas that create stress are reduced.
- Ways to reduce: The easiest way to stay positive is to think the reverse of the negative thought. You may say.” But If I do that, it will not feel congruent.” Here is where you do the “Fake it till you make it” strategy. If you do something over and over again it will eventually become real. Another way is to ask this question if something is going wrong or doesn't feel good: “What’s great about this?” There has to be SOMETHING in there that is good. Again the goal is to reduce stress. The best is saying to yourself “I am just going to LET GO!” it’s not worth getting upset about.”
Robin Dayne - "The Trader's Coach"
Call us toll free @ 866-928-3310 during normal business hours.
After Dark - email email@example.com or call 415-857-5654
Connect with us:
Please leave a review on iTunes